Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Slap In the Face

It was already a rough day. I was coughing up a good chunk of money for some repairs on my car that I could not put off any longer. I set out to take care of three errands and they were all futile for various reasons and I just had a lot on my mind already about my dad and other things pressing on me right now in my life. I was driving down Waco Drive and a small 3 by 4 ft. billboard caught my eye. It was simple. It had a bright yellow backdrop with just three lines in bold black writting. The bottom line was the phone number you could call to learn more about the advertisment's offer. The top line read "DIVORCE." The middle line offered the top line for the mere price of only $79.50.

DIVORCE
$79.50
(254) 555-1234

.
OUCH. I can here the comercial advertisement now: "Have it all!! A broken family, emotional pain and emotional damage for life, and eternal consequences all for the small price of just $79.50. Have all of the happiness that you think you want but will never get by our method all for the cheap price of $79.50."

I lost it. Have you ever just screamed at the top of your lungs to get out the pain and frustration of life. Too much wailing and screaming, too often can be more damaging than good, but at times it can be thereaputic. It was that for me yesterday. It wasn't a time of questioning God and His ways, as it sometimes is. It was just me before God. "Here is your child. I hurt sometimes. A fallen world and my own sinfulness is the reason. May your grace and mercy rain down on me. Thank you for being a God of second chances."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Screaming at the top of your lungs is sometimes the most healthy thing to do. I wish I could be alone in a car for 15 minutes... screaming might be the one thing that I would do!

I found your blog through Facebook! I hope you don't mind! (This is Jen B. from Taft choir by the way...)

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... considering i come from a family that has been terribly broken through a nasty nasty divorce that only functioned to make everything worse... yeah. wow.

i would be screaming at teh top of my lungs too if i saw that sign. just knowing that it exists or existed makes me pretty furious.

-sierra

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home