Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Woes of Retail

For the past couple of weeks I have been extremely tired of my job. Part of this is because since Katrina our business has slowed significantly. We also haven't had a whole lot of shipment to put out so I have been bored out of my mind at times. I even resorted to getting down on my hands and knees going around the store with Goo-gone and a plastic card trying to scrape the scuff marks clean again. My fellow co-workers think I'm crazy, but I just explain to them that if I stood around doing nothing, then they would see me go crazy.

I think the main reason that I am tired of it is because I am ready to do more. Last semester when I was so emotionally taxed retail was great for me. It was a job that I could go to and leave behind. I particularly liked the summer when I was an Assitant manager at my second retail job. I didn't like it becasue I got to boss people around. I like it because I could treat those that I supervised with respect and care. I could encourage them as someone that they respected and had to listen to and I could give constructive criticism when needed. I felt as though I were investeing in something more than simply the upkeep of a fun store to shop in.

I really like my job and I think that I do it well. The company is also a good one to work for because I can tell that they value their employees and want to tae care of them from the top of the ladder down to the last rung. I'm just ready to do more. I'm ready for my job to be my ministry. I know that there are ways that I can do that now, but I want to invest in my job emotionally and intellectually and it's kinda hard to do that at a retail place.

Richard told me not worry because Jesus didn't start his ministry until he was 30ish. Haha...well...I'm ready now. When I was Community Leader I could invest myself wholly into my job and even though it took out too much of me at times, I still loved it. I'm ready to give. I'm doingthis a little at church but I still want to do more. Oh, how I hope that this tiring time is short lived and I start to find ways to give and enjoy retail again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well atleast your keeping positive about it and "fighting the good fight" with your apron of many colors and you sword of the goo-gone, or whatever. Reminds me of being in middle school during thanksgiving. You are clearly too old to sit a the little kiddy card table, but you wouldn't quite fit in at the adult table. Well I'm sorry you're stuck in this carrer purgatory, but I know you will do well and that you will be successful, oh and while your there can you pass the mashed potatos.

Richard

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHH...Aprons with many colors and Goo-Gone...reminds me of working in a hospital with old people...I think it is the goo-gone that makes that memory so clear. We didn't use goo-gone, but an certain item known as Boudreoux's Butt Paste, and when i used that i wanted an apron of any color to keep certain things from splattering.

As far as the comment on sitting at the kiddy table at thanksgiving in middle school, I'm 26 years old, and I still have to sit at the kiddy table. They should call it the Kiddy/sad single people table. I only say this because I have a 19 year old cousin who just got married and my grandparents will now allow her and her husband (both freshly out of highschool) to sit at the grown up table while I take my beer to the kiddy table with the toddlers.

Career Purgatory is no fun...it is sort of like real purgatory...only without all the snow and the skis and the ski-bunnies.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home