Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Pax In My Ears

Corny title, I know. I just got back from choir practice. We are having our Christmas Choral Service this Sunday. I am very excited about it. I haven't been in a choir concert in about four years. Our director, Dr. Randall Bradley (who also teaches at Truett and Baylor) has an immense appreciation for quality music, so his choices of music are always eloquent, different, appropriate for the time or sermon....I could go on and on, but just know that they are always perfectly chosen. Needless for me to say, (but I'll say it again anyway,) I have thoroughly enjoyed the music selection for this Christmas. My favorite piece that we are doing is called Pacem. Let me say emphatically that there is very little that rings sweeter in my ears than the combination of a violin, piano and a Latin chorus. Here are the words to Pacem:

Dona nobis pacem.
Et in terra pax hominibus.


So simple in it's appearance yet so glorious in it's presentation. It means:

Grant us Peace
And in this land peace to all (men) of good will.

This is probably boring for most of you, but I get so excited about music and especially Latin choral music. I am so blessed to get to sing some beautiful pieces with an amazing choir. I hope we do more Latin songs with violin and piano again soon. It gives me chills.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gillwinkle said...

Latin songs are pretty cool. Do you know this one?
"Ilent-say Ight-nay, oly-Hay Ight-Nay..."
Sorry to ruin the moment...just couldn't resist the shot.
}
;O)
}

10:37 AM  
Blogger Lils and Rose said...

YOU'RE A TREE!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Kessa said...

Funny that you should mention Silent Night...er...uh...Ilent-say Ight-nay. Last year I heard an amazing version of it by a group named, Selah. They sing the second verse in Hebrew. More pax in my ears. (Corny, again, I know.)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Kessa said...

One more thing...on the same album, they sing Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel with a piano and a violin. Ah...My favorite Advent/Christmas song with violin and piano...the only thing that would make it better would be if they sang Veni, Veni Emmanuel.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful performance Kessa. :-) I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kelli was on time too!

~Adam

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home