Tuesday, March 01, 2005

How To NOT Get a Date

Some guys just don’t get it.

I got hit on today at work. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Quite amusing, but definitely not pleasant. This nice looking guy around his mid to late twenties walked into my store and I walked over to him to greet him as I do all the customers. I asked if he needed help finding anything and he said he was just looking. (I’ll bet that’s what he was doing…) I went back to what I was doing and a few seconds later he walked over to me. I acknowledged him with a small smile and he began the conversation.
“Do you know where I could go clubbin’ around here?”
“Hmmm…clubbing,” I repeated.
“Yeah, I just got transferred here to Fort [Something or Other] and I was looking for a place to have a good time.”
I could plainly see where this conversation was headed all too quickly so I kept my nose in my work and tried to keep him focused on his question.
“Well, sir, were you looking for country clubs or another kind?”
“Anything really.”
Based on his boots and tight Wrangler attire I proceeded to give him directions to a country-dancing club.
“If you drive down this road that…”
“You got a boyfriend?” he interjected rather anxiously.
“Yes, I do.” (It’s so convenient to pull the “boyfriend card” out sometimes.)
“Ah, well that was the only reason I was asking. I just went through a divorce and she just couldn’t keep following me where I was getting transferred. I just want to be honest with you.” (Very considerate of him to be honest with me. I was also wondering how long he was able to hold down a wife since he looked so young, but I refrained from my curiosity.)
“Would you still like directions to the club?” I asked him as I wondered why he was still standing there.
“Nah, I probably need to take it easy and stay single for a while.” (Translation: I need to remain ignorant so I have a reason to ask another girl.)
“That’s probably not a bad idea,” I tried to affirm him…
“Well it was nice to meet you,” he said as he finally started to back away.
“We didn’t actually meet.” (DOH!! Why did I say that?!?!?)
“Ah…I’m sorry.”
He began to walk back towards me. I thought he was going to introduce himself. Silly me… He reached his hand out and said:
“Can I get your number?”
Again, with a sweet smile, I replied, “No, I don’t think so.”
“Oh, all right. Have a nice day.”
“Thank you, you too.”

I wonder if there are girls who actually respond to that kind of pathetic attempt to get a date. If so, I feel sorry for them that they don’t have the self-esteem to want to be pursued and made to feel important and respected by a guy.

I should have been born back in the days of courting…

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kessa,
I thought that experience of yours was really funny. What a sad way to try to get a date! I hope you are doing well. ~Anna Sharp

10:19 AM  
Blogger myleswerntz said...

the boyfriend card? who's the boyfriend?

9:28 PM  
Blogger Kessa said...

Myles,
The "boyfriend card" can be used as a safety protection against weird guys like this one, even if the boyfriend card is not legitimate. However...it can also be used if it is legit...
;-)
More details another time. Tell yourself and all the roomies "hi."
Take care.

10:31 PM  
Blogger myleswerntz said...

fyi, i'll be in waco for a few more years yet, across the street at the Religion Dept. I got in for PhD work.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kessa,
Funny post... you gotta give the guy a little bit of props for having the guts to randomly ask you out, but his tact... well that was lacking. Hope things are going well for you.

Next time this happens, you should give the guy this number:
212.479.7990
it's the national rejection hotline. lol. call it for some good laughs.

~Adam

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ellis Family said...

Kessa - So i've been really bad about reading your blog...BUT i want to keep up with you and what is going on in your life...so i am going to start checking it frequently!

so are you datin the guy you told me about??
love ya kiddo!
chris

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey do you know of any good places to go clubbin in S.A.

The Card ;)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Tin Soldier said...

I once hit on a girl who served me at a McD's outlet with a very clichéd line which actually worked to my surprise and won me a suppressed smile from the girl (we pathetic guys usually take our chances). I then shocked myself by getting her flowers at the mall where the outlet was and waited for her to get off work. And I ended up commuting home by myself. That was the first and only time I dispensed a pickup line.

...it's a shame that the age of courting shall remain a noble thing of the past.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home