Thursday, September 09, 2004

Paranoia

A Story:

It was a dark and stormy June night. The rain was pounding outside my window and I was sleeping like a baby, only to wake-up to a nightmare. Ok, so it wasn’t really a nightmare, but it was a very unpleasant surprise. One of my co-workers during my summer internship came over to my apartment at 8:00 in the morning as was the normal routine so we could go to work together. However this particular morning, he came bearing bad news. My car, along with six other randomly selected cars had been broken into that night.

At first I was just mad but I was quickly able to find humor in the situation. I had two large cases of CD, some books, a small bag of clothes and a plethora of other items in my car that were all left untouched. (Except by the rain of the night which did the majority of damage to the few books I had in my car, much to my dismay.) The only thing the thieves decided to claim as thier own was my CD player which hadn't worked in about two years. The raido in it worked, but I didn't listen to it much anyway since my antennae was broken off awhile back and most stations don't come in very clear.

When the cop arrived he asked if I by some random chance had the serial number. MUCH to his surpise I had the original box with all of the warranty papers. He said he'd never even come across anyone with the serial number much less the box the radio came in. He probably wouldn't have been surprised if he'd known me and my OCD a little better.

Well, despite the fact that I had the serial number and they ran a search through local pawn shops, nothing came of it. The only loss I really had was my window. I drove home to SA the next day to retrieve a $451 front passenger piece of glass that I got for $51 dollars. (My dad's brother owns a glass/car shop.) My dad used to work at the same shop so I didn't have to pay anything for labor either. In fact, I got a free dinner with my dad.

Though it was a pain to deal with, there was no permanent damage, (except to my books, again, much to my dismay.) And the thieves only got away with a CD player that was usless to me. What did I get away with? A free lesson on how to install the original radio. Now I won't have to pay for installation if I ever decide to get a new CD player. Well, hopefully not.

Another Story:

It was a quiet and peaceful August night. The wind was blowing softly and I was trying to sleep to the sound of a crying baby only to wake up to another nightmare. This time however, it really did seem like a nightmare. I was babysitting for a lawyer that I used to work for. I've been on vacation with this family and I was baby-sitting overnight while the parents celebrated their aniversary out of town. I hadn't slept much because the baby was teething and not sleeping well so she did a great job of keeping me up. At 7:30 I woke up to what sounded like the doorbell ringing, but I wasn't sure until I heard strong pounding on the front door. This was already unusual because everyone uses the side door in this house. I looked out of the upstairs window to see a cop standing at the door. I raced down the stairs in my pajamas and open the door.

"Ma'am, are you the owner of a gold Pontiac Sunfire?"
"Yes, sir I am.
"Well, it was broken into last night. Will you please come out and take a look at the damage?"

So there are two things going on in my head at this point. The first is, "I'm am honestly not surprised." You know the whole, "when it rains it pours," thing. Well, this just seemed like another event in a long line of events that were all joined together to make my life difficult. The second thing was "What in the world did they take? Surely not my radio tape player that came with the car?!?!" I started looking around my car, and sure enough...that wasn't it. I looked all over my car and couldn't find anything. This time it was the driver's window that had been knocked out. I tried the open the door, but they did such a great job of busting the window out that they jammed the door shut and broke part of the frame which is what kept me from opening the door.

I walked over to the cop to tell him that they hadn't stolen anything. Everything was in dissaray in my car but nothiong was gone. Any then it hit me. The day before I had gone to a friend's birthday party in Cameron Park and as I usually do when I am going to speacial avents, I took my digital camera with me. I very seldom take my camera out of my apartment and when I do it usually stays in my purse. Since I was at Cameron Park, I didn't bring my purse. I also never went home after the birthday party becasue I headed straight to the house I was baby-stting at. And...I didn't think to bring my camera inside.

Fortunately, I didn't loose many pictures, but I'm still upset about my camera. It was a birthday gift that I had barely had for six months. ARGH!!

Moral of the Two Stories:

So why is this titled paranoia? Wow...that was a long story to get to this point. After my car was broken into the first time, it was not that big of a deal. It was fixed fairly easily without much cost. The second time it happened was somewhat unbelievable to me, seeing as how it happened only about a month and half after the first time. The cost was a little more because of the door frame damage, but the people I baby-sat for paid for it. I think that there was more damage done to me than my car though. In the past four weeks I have have had four dreams about my car being broken into. I always park my car right outside my apartment window and I jump at nearly every sound that I hear outside to see if my car is ok. I also try to park where I can see my car from the windows at work when I am there. This is quite a trick to accomplish if you know how Baylor has changed the parking up recently and if you know where I work and where the nearest parking lot/garage is. I feel a bit unsettled though if I can't see my car. I'm hoping this will die down soon though. It already is getting a little better, but the paranioa seems to rise when I have another dream about it.

I considered apologizing for writing such a long post, and then I realized that this is my blog and I am allowed to write as much or as little as I want to. Hope you enjoyed my long story and all it's details that I am known to not leave out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Neil E. Golemo said...

Amen, sister. Write as long a post you want! (Just don't expect anyone to read it ;))

I had my car vandalized at the end of the school year. it really kinda sucked. They just slashed 3 of my tires. How are you going to slash just three tires? Why not just get the fourth as well? (I guess you're not the only one who has a problem with OCD) Anyways, it all helps to remember that a car is a car is a car is a car. Materials are of the earth, I want my worries not to be.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I know the damage is often more on one's psyche than on the possessions. This world is a bad place, and Waco isn't exactly a diamond in the rough...

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My car got broken into last summer, it really hacked me off. My roomie left his wallet on teh center console, so they took it. They took my radar detector too. They couldn't get the power cord undone, so they just cut it. A lot of good it did them. :( Oh well. Sorry to hear about teh car. I had fun the other night, I'll try and stop by more on Thursday nights. I'm sure it gets boring. :p

~Adam

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left out a few details but that okay, it's your blog. Well I'm sorry to hear again about your car getting broken into. I'm sorry that your camera was stolen, I know that they are not cheap and that yours is not as commonly sold as it once was, may be discontinued. You use that word "plethora" a lot lately, and it reminds me of "the three amigos" movie you bought me. When the talk about a plethora of piñatas.(sorry about that little side note).

Well look at the bright side, like I have to tell you to do that, you got to have lunch with your father, and you learned that having smaller hand than mine are better for installilng radio. So that's good. I'm not saying that I want your car to be broken into again, so don't get me wrong.

That car has been real faithful to you for a long time. Car alarms are not too terribly expensive, and I'm sure you've consider that, but that would be a nice way to reward Birdie.

-Richard

12:47 AM  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
car removal for cash brisbane
car removal bundaberg

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars melbourne city
car removal toowoomba

9:59 PM  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
old car removal sydney
car buyer in sydney

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home